Friday, 30 September 2011

Trial placement day

Today I had my trial placement day, in preparation for my start in January. I'm not going to discuss my opinions on the placement or details today because I quite want to wait until I start, however one thing that was v interesting was the 4 hour meeting conducted every Friday afternoon.

Alongside admin issues, staff have a group one hour therapy session facilitated by an outside moderator, and group supervision and training where each week someone discusses a designated article or clinical case. I really enjoyed this session and some really big questions came out of it:

- at what point is one the therapist vs a member of the community? If you have a finite 1 hour therapy session with a client which is stuctured, should you behave in a consistently controlled manner the ret of the time or react more "normally" to client's behaviour?
- if you don't give enough feedback to their behaviour, does the residential setting reflect the real world enough and aid rehabilitation?
- age. If you've just turned 18 you're technically an adult, but if you've been used to being treated as a child for so long, it doesn't change in a day and yet the way the services work do. How can that transition be smoothed?
- was also quite intersting to see how different clients bring out such different emotions in staff. While one enjoys working with one client, another can find it near impossible. Its a lot about your own personal issues, being particularly in tune with a client or them bringing up something in your past.
- lots of questions about boundaries, the process of detaching, and the role of the professional vs the human.

The less enjoyable part of the day was hearing a story about recent self harm with a needle, repeated to many staff members. I have the worst needle phobia of anyone i know. Not fainting was an achievement.

That's all folks.

Am rather ready for the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment