Historically the issue of control has always been a big one for social workers and some of the dichotomies involved in partnership working vs control.
One thing that I have found a struggle is my own lack of control in this role. In my past career I felt pretty much in control of everything I did, I had my to do list and I got on with it, in I would say quite an efficient way.
But working with people is different, (it's not rocket science I know!) People won't attend that meeting just because it's on your to do list or answer the phone because you want them to or get up in the morning because you believe it's best. And sometimes however hard you think you're working or however much effort you believe you're putting in, you won't see the progress you were hoping for. In fact they may go backwards sometimes. Basically you can't control what's going to happen, you can only do what you think is best with each intervention and each decision but the control and the responsibility lies with them not you.
People are unpredictable. And that what makes working with them so bloody interesting
No comments:
Post a Comment