I’ve come to another transition in my career as today marks
the end of my student placement, my last ever day and in a week’s time, I’ll
begin my career as a keyworker pending my registration and then as a social worker, in a LAC team, exactly where I wanted to
be.
I should be excited and I am – I’m intrigued to find out
which cases I’ll be getting. I’m keeping one teenager who I have worked with
for the past 6 months but the rest will all be new. But I’m also quite
apprehensive.
Over the last few months I have absolutely loved what I have been
doing, but I have also come to see the emotional impact that the role can have
and the importance of good supervision. I have been lucky to have had a very
warm and caring supervisor, ready to listen to me the following day if I messaged her after a
tough evening session with a young person. However, it’s hard to know what my
new team will hold, and although I can see many positives about the new pod
model – particularly the benefits of gaining the perspective of many more
professionals to help with decision making, I wonder whether it will allow for
the same warmth, or potential for reflection or containment that one on one
supervision has the power to do.
I have also already seen a colleague off sick a lot, ‘fatigued’
,having been pretty new to the team, and I’m aware that there will be a big
jump between the protected caseload that I have been holding and the cases that
will greet me shortly. In addition, I feel the huge sense of responsibility
that comes with this role – as well as the privilege that accompanies it, the privilege
of working with some of these young people who inspire me on a regular basis.
I’ve been asking on twitter for tips and strategies that
people have used to cope with the emotional element of the role. I’ve been told
about the importance of supervision, reflection, work life balance. I’ve been
told about the importance of creating a network of other professionals with
whom you can be honest about feelings around your cases. This is a big one for me. I’ve been lucky to
have a fellow student and friend working alongside me on this placement, and
certainly in my past career in advertising, my colleagues became my friends and
we used to sit and discuss all our work, and that didn’t hold the emotional
element. I think this is such an important support network for us as social
workers.
One tip that my practice educator gave me which I think
could be useful if you have the self-discipline to put into practice, is to
identify a landmark on your way home from work, and when you hit that landmark,
tell yourself to switch off from work from this point.
It will be interesting to see what the future brings but I
feel ridiculously lucky, to have managed to change career to be a social worker
and to have gained a job in the exact team that I wanted. I absolutely love
working with children and young people and I want to make sure that I continue
to keep the wishes and feelings of my young people at the heart of everything,
and keep advocating for them, regardless of the bureaucratic challenges I may
face.
Here’s hoping to a fulfilling and inspiring career, and the
hope that I can make a difference, however small, to the lives of many people!
Hi,
ReplyDeleteAll the best to your career as a Social Worker. I wish and hope you can bring positive changes to young men and women. I have just started my journey as a Social Work student. Hope I won't drown in the readings to have to complete and in assessments. Please do keep posting.
Cheers,
SV