Hello,
I guess a little background on this blog:
I got a degree in Classics 4.5 years ago and went on to work in advertising strategy. I've been in this field for just over four years and am looking to start my Social Work MA in September 2011. I have a place at two universities and am waiting to hear from a third before making my final decisions.
It's a pretty big decision for me as i think I'm risking a huge amount in making this change.
I bought a flat a year ago which i'll now be moving out of to move back home in order to save some money. Fortunately the government pay for the course but as i'll be going from a reasonable salary to earning nothing at all for 2 years, and then my first salary is likely to be a bit over half what i earn now, i figure its time to save. I also feel i'm risking a lot because i don't really know if i'll like it or be any good at it. Which is quite terrifying.
I do know I have always had a concern and passion for broader social issues. I worked at Crisis homeless shelter over Xmas and am soon to start training to be a child mentor for Islington council (assuming i can make the 4 training sessions required, by leaving work bang on time - when i tried to make them last year, i ended up working late, so hoping this time i'll be luckier.) I've also been a youth leader for quite a few years, spending evenings during my weekend with kids age 10-12 but i'm aware that none of this give me much experience in the social field. Particularly when compared to the people i met at interview days who have already spent years working with service users. It's hard because i can't take back my past years, nor would i want to, i have loved working in this profession for the few years i have, but its worrying thinking my lack of experience might affect my job opportunities post the MA.
I'd like to think that i've learnt some genuinely relevant skills however. For one, i have had to manage people, use my time efficiently, handle paper work and deal with a range of clients. As a planner (also known as "voice of the consumer") my job requires me to try to emphathise with a range of people, particularly when conducting focus groups, learning to listen and interpret not only what people say but what they don't say. A lot of this direct work, with adults and children, using a range of research methodologies and techniques, will i hope, prove to be very helpful for my direct work with service users.
And i've done lots of reading to try to understand whatever i can from a theoretical point of view,both keeping on top of communitycare website and reading books on things from anti discriminatory practice to looked after children - my particular area of interest.
Although it may be buried, deep within my worries, i genuinely am very excited about this change. Hearing more details about the MA and speaking to people on the course really made me feel that this is the right thing for me.
Anyway, after a long ramble, this is my first post to see where i get to i guess! And if anyone is interesting in tracking my progress or giving me any advice along the way!
No comments:
Post a Comment