Sunday, 15 May 2011

A place at uni

Since i last wrote I have secured a place at a university to start my MA in September, which is great news. I'm now living back home and have a few months until i leave my job.

I'm still a mix of excited and anxious but doing everything I can to continue reading up on the subject and I'm finding that the SW-ers and SW students on Twitter are a great resource too.

I completed my ten hours mentoring training, although am still waiting to be matched to a mentee, am beginning work as an volunteer at the assessment hub of a homelessness pilot project and am going to shadow a SW-er, in two weeks time for 3 days, which is sadly the most amount of holiday time i could take from work, but i'm really excited about it.

I recently read Becky Hope's book about the life of a CP SW-er which filled me with a mixture of excitement and apprehension. I think one of the things in my mind is how sheltered my life has been and how little experience and exposure i have with many of the people i will work with as a SW-er. I worry that i won't be confident enough or personable enough to form the r/ships i'll need to - or worry about feeling scared, visiting people in council estates late at night. It sounds awful to say these things, but I'm rubbish as it is at walking home from the station on my own at night. But these are things i'll need to conquer and I need to find the right place/setting for myself as a SW-er, something that uses my strengths while also not shying away from elements that challenge me.

No comments:

Post a Comment