Thursday, 30 June 2011

Nerves about the career change

I recently applied to one LA graduate scheme for Social Work and recently found out I wasn’t shortlisted for interview. It’s frustrating and particularly as you get no feedback but obviously I can appreciate that there were probably many stronger candidates.

However, it has raised one big concern in my mind that has been there for a while. I know I have very little experience in this field. I have never worked with any service users. I have been a youth leader and a Hebrew teacher for kids age 10-12 for many years, but not particularly vulnerable children. I’ve done 10 hours of child mentoring training but haven’t yet been matched with a mentee and I’m about to start (next week) a voluntary role in a homeless charity.

Of course, as I’ve written about previously, I feel I have other transferable skills from my 5 years in advertising – whether it be time-management and organisation or writing and delivering presentations, working in a multi-agency environment or more strategic knowledge around behaviour change. And academically I’ve always done fairly well and achieved a First Class degree during my BA.

However, and this was reinforced after meeting some coursemates at my induction for the MA yesterday, I’m concerned that potential job opportunities may overlook me, even after my MA as I have so little experience when compared to others with years in social care, above and beyond their MA qualification.

Am I going to be wasting my time dropping everything for a 2 year qualification…I’ve suddenly become a bit nervous..

No comments:

Post a Comment