I recently was sent my placement request form from university. They’re asking me to fill in a cover letter style template as to why I want to work in SW etc and then very briefly answer a few questions about what skills and knowledge I want to acquire and whether I’ll be choosing Adults or C+F in my final year.
It was quite an odd form to fill out. I’ve always assumed I’ll choose C+F but am aware people change their mind during the course, and without even one seminar under my belt, it’s an odd question to answer. But more odd is asking me what skills and knowledge I want to acquire – well I don’t know anything really yet, so I’m happy to learn anything and everything!
In addition, I think a lot of students broadly have an idea of what placements they’d like before they start uni but it clearly says on the form, do not indicate what setting you’d like to work in or what service users you’d like to work with. Just the skills and knowledge. The sad truth is, that although I’m sure there are a huge range of placement settings that will offer fantastic experience and transferable skills, most of us would like a placement in a LA, because we’re constantly told that that will help our job opportunities. So the form becomes a kind of tightrope walk to hint at where you might like to go, without overtly mentioning it.
I’m not entirely sure this is the best process but I do know, it makes it all feel so much closer and I really am excited to start working in a social services setting and very aware from others I’ve spoken to, how much can be learnt in the placements you least expect to be rewarding. Plus, its up to you to make your placement experience what it can be.
I have my induction day next week as well as the BASW student social work conference. More writing to come.
No comments:
Post a Comment